Joshua L. Ross
Joshua Ross is a litigator whose practice focuses on complex business litigation, consumer and securities fraud cases, class actions, professional negligence, and contract disputes. Licensed in Oregon and Washington, Josh represents clients in state and federal courts, as well as in court-mandated and private arbitration. Josh has represented both individuals and businesses in a variety of civil actions, including actions for fraud, unlawful trade practices, breach of contract, professional malpractice, and securities fraud. Josh serves as an arbitrator for Multnomah County Circuit Court. Prior to joining Stoll Berne, Josh clerked for Hon. Rick Haselton at the Oregon Court of Appeals.
Community service is an integral part of Josh's practice. He has been a volunteer lawyer with the Legal Aid Domestic Violence Project since 2007. He also is serving a four-year term as a Region 5 member of the Oregon State Bar Board of Governors. The Multnomah Bar Association awarded Josh the 2008 Michael E. Haglund Pro Bono award and the 2010 YLS Award of Merit, and the Daily Journal of Commerce selected Josh for inclusion in its 2010 "Up & Coming Lawyers." In 2010, 2011, and 2012, Josh was selected as a "Rising Star" in Oregon Super Lawyers.
Josh grew up in Texas and, before becoming a lawyer, he lived in Jerusalem, Israel, where he attended university, served in the Israel Defense Forces Paratroopers Brigade, and worked as a chef's assistant in a Moroccan restaurant. Josh enjoys spending time with his wife, son, and daughter, cooking, bike commuting, watching movies, yoga, and exploring the great Northwest.
Consumer Class Action:
* Represents proposed class of health care providers against PPO organization.
* Represents proposed classes of health care providers in action against insurers who paid less than required by law, and pursuant to illegal contracts.
* Represented proposed class of consumers alleging violation of Oregon and federal consumer statutes in action against national debt negotiation companies.
* Negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of an individual seeking damages from a debt collection agency for agency's repeated and improper contacts with the individual, who owed no debt.
* Regularly represents consumers harmed by illegal business practices, including claims under the Oregon Unlawful Trade Practices Act.
Negotiated favorable settlement in professional malpractice and securities fraud action against client's former accountant.
* Successfully represented real estate investment firm in two-week arbitration of multi-million dollar investment claims.
* Represents institutional client in securities fraud litigation against Fortune 500 company.
* Negotiated favorable settlement of fraud-based claims against hedge fund and its general partner, and successfully defeated debtor's attempt to escape obligation through bankruptcy.
* Represents investor with claims against former broker and advisor who defrauded investor and absconded with investment property. Defendant agreed to return entire amount of investment plus interest within months of filing action.
* Successful defense of fraud claims brought by group of investors against real estate investment firm; plaintiffs voluntarily dismissed all claims.
* Represents clients harmed by professional malpractice, fraud, and violations of securities laws.
Breach of Contract:
* Obtained substantial settlement for investor in action alleging breach of obligation to repay investment losses.
* Represented consumers claiming major retail business breached obligations under warranty contract.
* Defense of real estate developer in breach of contract action arising from contractor's alleged failure to perform.
* Represented former employer with breach of fiduciary claims against administrator of employee retirement plan. Matter settled before lawsuit was filed.
Represented technology company in action against judgment-debtor alleging improper transfer of assets.
Regularly represents public investors in securities and financial fraud matters, including in arbitration through the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Drafted several briefs filed with the Oregon Supreme Court.
Employment Class Action:
Represented employees in action seeking class-wide recovery for major insurance carrier's failure to pay overtime under FLSA and state laws.
Successfully resolved dispute on behalf of employee and shareholder after litigation of TRO and wrongful termination proceedings against former employer. Case resolved after mediation.
209 SW Oak St
Portland, Oregon 97204
Tel: (503) 227-1600
Fax: (503) 227-6840
- Lewis and Clark Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2003
- University of Texas at Austin, B.A., with Honors
- Oregon State Bar, 2003
- Washington State Bar, 2008
- United States District Court, Oregon
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- Stoll Berne; associate, 2005-2012; shareholder, 2013-present
- Hon. Rick T. Haselton, Oregon Court of Appeals; judicial law clerk, 2003-2005
Oregon State Bar
- Board of Governors, 2013-present
- Region 5 Delegate to Oregon State Bar House of Delegates, 2009-2012
- Consumer Law Section Executive Committee, 2009-2012; Treasurer, 2011-2012
- Fellow, Oregon State Bar Leadership College, 2010
- OSB/OJD Task Force on Oregon eCourt Implementation, 2008-2009
- Washington State Bar
- Multnomah County Circuit Court, Arbitrator, 2011-present
Multnomah Bar Association
- Equality Committee, 2010-present
- 2011 OSB Convocation on Equality, Chair, Recognition Sub-Committee
- Futures Committee, 2008-2010
- Young Lawyers Section Service to the Public Committee, 2006-2008
- Co-Chair, Imprint Program, 2007-2008
- Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- Recipient of YLS Award of Merit, 2010
- Recipient of the Michael E. Haglund Pro Bono Award, 2008
- Recognized as "Outstanding Partner" by Lewis and Clark First Year Mentor Program, 2009
- Recognized in Daily Journal of Commerce "Up & Coming Lawyers," 2010
- Recognized as "Rising Star" in Oregon Super Lawyers, 2010, 2011, and 2012
- Multnomah Bar Association Pro Bono Honor Roll
- Volunteer Attorney, Legal Aid Domestic Violence Project
- Congregation Havurah Shalom, Steering Committee and Corporate Secretary
- Volunteer Judge, Classroom Law Project
- Mentor, Lewis and Clark Law School First Year Mentor Program
- Former Volunteer Coach, Classroom Law Project High School Mock Trial Competition
- Former "Big Brother" with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Portland